Sunday, February 8, 2004

Grammy Awards. Part 1

Alas, this can not be a full Grammy analysis because I missed a bunch of it. Still, I caught enough to expound upon. Here is the list of winners if you want more:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Music/02/08/grammy.winners/index.html 

The first award I caught was Best Male Pop Vocalist. Nominees included George Harrison and Warren Zevon. Justin Timberlake won. This is wrong.

  “I’m humbled,” Justin said. Good.

  Justin took this moment in the national spotlight to address the dress-ripping/boob-revealing spectacle of last week’s Super Bowl halftime show.

  “Listen, I know it’s been a rough week,” he said. "What occurred was unintentional, completely regrettable and I apologize if you guys were offended.”

  Patti Labelle introduced a tribute to Luther Vandross, who is recovering from a stroke. Before Boobgate, Janet Jackson was supposed to present the award. Celine Dion had no sound for part of the Luther tribute.

  After I watched “Sex and the City,” there was a tribute to funk.Or as super-cool Samuel L. Jackson described it, “The Church of Eternal Funk.” Earth, Wind and Fire performed. Whoo Ho! The guitarist wore fuzzy fur boots. I must get some. EW&F was then joined by Outkast, who performed “I Like the Way You Move.” 

   Here was an award surprise: “Clocks” by Coldplay won for Record of the Year. Chris Martin dedicated the award to the late Johnny Cash and to Democratic candidate John Kerry, “who I hope will be president.” Hey, isn’t Chris Martin English?

No comments: