Saturday, September 18, 2004

My political discussion with 12-year-old girls

So I was in line at the checkout counter at Barnes & Noble (buying the new Carl Hiassen book and Jennifer Weiner's new book). Behind me are two blonde girls, about 12 years old. This was the conversation:

TEEN #1: So George Bush is for the war on terrorism. He needs to be the next president because he will make us safer. John Kerry said he will make all the troops come home.
TEEN #2: Well, that is what he SHOULD do....
TEEN #1: (Not listening)...And John Kerry is for gay marriages...
TEEN #2: Ewwwww.....
TEEN #1: And anyway, John Kerry isn't even a Christian!! I know a lot about politics.

So I debate with myself. Do I say something? Do I set them straight? Do I just keep my mouth shut and buy my book?

Nah.

"Girls," I say. "John Kerry IS a Christian. He is Catholic."
"Oh."
"And he isn't necessarily FOR gay marriage, he just thinks each state should decide."

Blink, blink, blink.

"Well, anyway, I am glad you are discussing politics. It is good to know what is going on," I say in a chipper way. "And only a few more years till you can vote!" biggrin.gif

Did they listen to me? Should I have bothered? Who the heck knows. But I did.

No comments: