Sunday, September 5, 2004

Mom's roof is flying off, piece by piece

Mom left me a message about noon today. Her voice sounded very tense. The storm is really bad over Orlando right now. All the people and kitties in the house are okay, she said. But the roof - already damaged in Hurricane Charley three weeks ago - is flying apart. Piece by piece. There are a lot of leaks in the house. Oy.

And this is from a weblog on the Orlando Sentinel's website www.orlandosentinel.com

It is about Seminole County, where Mom lives:

10:03 a.m.

It's said there is no such thing as a dumb question. The folks answering the Seminole County's citizen hotline might disagree. After a busy night of fielding inquiries, they compiled their David Letterman-style Top 10 list:

  • 10 – Is the mall open?
  • 9 – What does mandatory mean?
  • 8 – Will the curfew let me go to the bar with my friends?
  • 7 – Do I leave the sand in the bags?
  • 6 – Due to the water, do you put holes in the sandbags?
  • 5 – Is Casselberry a county? I live in Seminole County, and it is different there.
  • 4 – I heard there is a 9 p.m. curfew for all of Seminole County. Is it different in Sanford?
  • 3 – Do the shelters have parking spaces?
  • 2 – I'm heading to Alabama and I am in Ocala. I am running out of gas. Should I turn around and go home?
  • 1 – I heard the storm is going to Miami. Does that mean it will miss Florida?

    -- Gary Taylor
  • No comments: