Friday, July 23, 2004

My new favorite summer movie

"Napoleon Dynamite" - an indie that won raves at the Sundance Film Festival.

http://www.foxsearchlight.com/index.shtml

I LOVE this movie. Love it. I also loved "Anchorman" and remembering bits of that movie still make me giggle. "Anchorman" was flat out funny. "Napoleon Dynamite" is flat out clever.

It is the story of a high school geek and all the weird relatives and friends who populate his life, such as his 32-year-old unemployed brother who spends his days looking for love in Internet chat rooms, or his uncle who is stuck in 1982.

Remember how all the teen films of the 1980s were all so self-aware? There was so much angst about "Who will I become?" and "I love her but she doesn't love me" and "Do you think there is enough mousse in my hair?" For instance, the geeks in "Sixteen Candles" KNEW they were geeks and it just killed them because they soooooo wanted to be cool.

Not Napoleon Dynamite. He is a complete freak but has no knowledge that he is a freak. If he did know, he wouldn't care. You know why? Because he can dance. And you will want to, as well, after seeing this movie.

No comments: