Sunday, August 29, 2004

A library outing for the group home folks

Far be it for me to make fun of the differently abled or the mentally ill. Not with all MY anxieties, neuroses and OCD tics. But my recent visit to the local library brought me into contact with some interesting folks.

I was at the magazine rack, picking up my dose of Cosmo, when a sort of good looking guy around my age glanced at me. Considering I am single and hormonal, I glanced back. Then he started repeating: "Sixteen! Sixteen! Sixteen!" I wanted to say, "No. Cosmo! Cosmo! Cosmo!" But then I realized he had some kind of vocal tic.

So I sat down at a table and read the 152 ways I Can Please A Lover. Mr Vocal Tic then started walking around and pushing back all the chairs so that each was even with the table.

Then he began muttering: "Meep! Meep! Meep!"

I checked out my books just as he and his friends got into a van with a counselor and drove away.

Meep!

No comments: