Monday, October 18, 2004

Meghan comments on Britney

These are my friend Meghan's comments on Britney's letters to her fans:

--

"I think you should assign your students to do a paper  on a critical reading of this piece!

This is fascinating. She has skillfully woven a leitmotif of "not a girl, not yet a woman" through her prose, a theme ever-present in her musical compositions. As in: " Right now, I have to go-- I really want to watch "Saved" with Mandy Moore and re-runs of "Sex and the City.""    Which is it, Britney?  The Christian-high school good girl movie or the bad girl in the city television program that's too hot for regular cable?


She keeps us guessing. That is the brilliance of Britney Spears.

And here, she applies her message globally: 

"There is so much change going on right now... not only with me, but in the world, as well.  So, the next time you see my face, hear one of my songs or even if I'm the topic of your next conversation, please remember that times are changing & so am I."

No comments: